Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Batti Gayo!

(translation:  “the lights are gone!”)

Tonight, as I was finishing up a budget for some friends who are coming to Nepal for a month, the lights went out!  
I knew that the city’s electric was not coming on for hours, but what surprised me was that our back up, (expensive!) electric system, (batteries), failed... I guess the charge ran out.  We’ll know more in the morning. 
So, as I sat in the dark with a candle, I wanted to write about it.  Ah!  Get the computer!  (it’s at least, 70% charged, yay!) ... Then I thought, “but, what if I didn’t HAVE a computer?”  
Well, then, I would write with pen and paper!  
But then, “what if I didn’t HAVE pen and paper?”...  
Then, I’d go outside and look at the stars!  Which I did! (and in the absolute DARKNESS.. they are beautiful!)...  
But,.. “what if... I didn’t HAVE the FREEDOM to go outside and look at the stars?”  hmmm... a serious end to a train of thought about electricity shortages...
This -- is a teensy, tiny...taste -- of what “life” is like for people all over Nepal who have had their freedom (and consequently, their life), taken from them.  (not to mention, inhumane atrocities done to them)... So ... THAT is what has filled my thoughts and prayers tonight.  
Strange, how we only consider (with any seriousness) those who ‘have not’ until WE... “have not”...

No comments:

Post a Comment